Monday, December 7, 2009

Brown bread in the bread machine

I love my bread machine. It's an Oster 5838 ExpressBake Breadmaker that I've had for a number of years. The best thing about it? I can make homemade bread in an hour. Seriously! The ExpressBake setting works really well. There were only 3 recipes in the 1-hour ExpressBake section of the instruction book, though, so I haven't used that setting as often as I would like. Recently I decided to attempt to modify one of the recipes (the Onion Soup bread) to make a whole wheat version, and it turned out great! If you try this in a regular breadmaker, I can't guarantee that it will turn out right, but here it is for posterity.

1 c + 2 T hot water (115-125 F)
2 T oil
2 T blackstrap molasses (the healthiest sweetener)
1 c bread flour
1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c oats
1 t salt
2 T ground flaxseed
4 1/2 t quick rise yeast

Place all ingredients in bread maker in order shown, making sure that the yeast does not come into contact with any wet ingredients. Set breadmaker on ExpressBake 58-minute setting and hit start. Let cool completely before slicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment